Of course, all of this behaviour was passed onto me by my mother and the first day that I wore her old witch hat. She told me that she wore this hat when she was a little girl and it would cause her to climb out of her bedroom window, slide down the drain pipe and walk on the railroad tracks with a black cat in the dead of night.
Halloween is the best time of year for me. And here's the thing: I don't want to dress up in a costume and go to some crummy party. I want to do weirder and more comforting things. I want to give candy to kids, bob for apples, go to spooky places, scare people, read ghost stories, smash pumpkins, imagine vampires, walk around and feel the city humming from it all.
This year for Halloween I'll be working at a bar.